Tuesday, October 18, 2016

When Caring Counts

What really matters?
5:59 am... I'm tired, and grouchy. And I'm sitting here in the silent darkness, casting about in my mind for a blog subject. Wait... Did I say silent because that's not accurate. My little cat Masala is at my feet mewing for attention. She's quite the talker and, if hungry or in need of pettings, is not shy about letting me know. It can be very endearing, and incredibly aggravating.

My brain pauses for a second, balanced on the point between angrily shooing her away and just giving in and petting her. If I reject her and shoo her away, what result? She will not understand my anger, and by dismissing her needs I lessen our relationship. The gain? A minute or two of peace to get my blog started right now, instead of a moment from now. Here is the point where right thought and right action either rise up to lead you down the noble path, or aggravation and anger lead you toward darkness. 

This morning I chose the noble path, and now Masala (and her brother Tyrion) are both contentedly resting on my desk, in their designated places. Once I allowed the aggravation to pass through me, I was able to embrace the joy of being tender and kind to her. She only needed a few moments of my time. Now she is feeling loved and at peace. Despite what the tired and angry part of my mind was telling me, the few moments delay to my blogging caused no harm to anyone.

The Dead Kennedy's offered to us "Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death" as a motto for our style of life here in America. While the band's music was only of passing interest to me, the phrase planted barbs in my brain. Convenience is the ultimate self-centered concept. We destroy our world for it. Ubiquitous motor vehicles, plastic drink bottles, fast-food restaurants - the signs that having what we want, when we want it is the single most important thing to us are everywhere, and fuck the consequences of our actions.

It wasn't convenient for me to interrupt my morning. Giving five minutes of affection to a creature whom I am wholly responsible for taking care of, was almost too much for me to bother with today. Sometimes, when we are truly right thinking, the hierarchy of importance finds itself upside down, and we examine life from the bottom up. This, I think, is good to do on a regular basis. After all, are you sure that the direction you consider up is the right one? Take a second look at what's important, even take a third look. You may be surprised... 6:23 am... 

No comments:

Post a Comment