Friday, October 21, 2016

Tech Life

Is there a part of our lives NOT touched by tech?
6:25 am... I was the first person in my family to own a personal computer. Let that sink in for a moment... especially for those of you who are under 40 at this point. Of the 12,000 or so generations of humans who led up to my existence, none of them had ever, EVER had access to one before me. And I am part of the very last generation who spent at least part of their childhood without one.

I wanted to start with this thought because, it helps to explain my perspective on the ubiquitous nature of technology. I do question the value of it sometimes. Not in that Luddite "Let's smash all the computers and go back to the golden age of the 1940s (1840s?)" kind of a way. But, I do sometimes question the trade-offs that we make because of our reliance on constantly available computing power and uninterrupted internet connectivity. I see twenty-somethings who are brilliant people, but they cannot hold a face-to-face conversation, use anything close to good grammar, or even dress in anyway that resembles professional (or even tidy) attire. Does any of that actually matter? Good Question.

It makes me wonder how far we have climbed the technological ladder, and what will happen to us when the ladder crumbles. How long is the fall? Even in the European Dark Ages, when nearly everyone was illiterate, and disease and war were rampant, most folks at least knew how to farm or hunt - they could survive. I don't see that parallel today, and it concerns me sometimes. What do you think? Especially the younger folks who have always had the digital world at their fingertips. If it were just gone... What would the world look like? What would change in your life? Interesting road to wander down... 6:46 am...

No comments:

Post a Comment