Monday, October 3, 2016

The mess that is my life

6:22 am... So, here it is, the mess that is my life. The house is quieter now, with Honey Bee and Little Man out the door and on their way, to work and school respectively. Masala and Tyrion are playing chase around the apartment. The scrambling of kitty feet across carpet, combined with the jingling of collar bells, trails behind them as they speed to and fro, delighting in each other's companionship.

Hot coffee with almond milk and sugar is already cooling, but is still nicely drinkable - even though it's leftover from yesterday morning.

So, my point? You might rightly inquire.

Hmmm, never really had much of a point, especially after the typical teen angst and rebellion of youth succumbed to the hedonistic blur of young adulthood. And, alas, those days, too, tumbled unexpectedly through my fingers, joining the feeble scattering of what could have been on the floor of life at my feet.

Time is a cruel mistress!

Energy flagging, the cats are quieting now, and the near silence plagues my ears, some music is in order. Uncle Lucius is a recently discovered favorite, so I tell iTunes to Shuffle All on the four album, 45 song collection - the sum total of their studio releases to date. Insightful lyrics, excellent vocals, and a wide range of sounds - from country to progressive rock - the band is a recent find and a perfect delight.

I am a staunch disbeliever in fate, coincidence, God and all other phenomena for which scientific evidence is thin to nonexistent. That being said, let's just say that I consider happening across Uncle Lucius as a windfall. Honey Bee and I headed to Houston last weekend to see Ray LaMontagne, another very nice musical discovery. The concert was on Friday night, so we decided to take the day off from work and make a weekend of it. But, what to do on Saturday night? A conundrum.

Ever buzzing, Honey Bee checked to see who was playing at McGonigel's Mucky Duck - one of our favorite Houston spots. Thus Uncle Lucius was discovered. I pulled down two of their albums using The Pirate Bay, and was simply stunned as I began to imbibe the soulful, intellectual spirit that the band distilled. Seeing them live, in such an intimate venue, lit a fire in me that has been dormant for years now. I happily burn.

The coffee is lukewarm now, and the kitties are both sleeping on my desk. Blog space is running low and more coffee is in order.  A shopping list and honey-do list lay before me, as does Ethics homework. A shower and breakfast! Time to start the day... 6:46 am...

No comments:

Post a Comment