Sunday, October 9, 2016

Sunday Love

7:51am... As you have deduced by now, this blog is not dedicated to serious issues. Politics, social problems, ethical dilemmas and the like have a home in one of my other blogs - Meaning What Exactly? This blog is exactly what the title implies, my daily morning exercise in writing. There is no plan for the mornings. If anything, I consider as I'm falling asleep what I could blog about when I wake, but more often than not, something else escapes my fingers come morning. My attempt is to make it brief, entertaining and insightful. A tiny glimpse into my life and mind, a quick and quirky escape from the maddening world we all share.

One of many symbols of love
Staring at my desktop screen, red background dominated by a large pink heart, which is itself decorated by a white wavy squiggle (see picture,) moves me to thoughts about love and relationships. Little Man was using my computer yesterday, because his tabled ran out of juice and I had some reading to do anyway. He found the Windows Paint program, which he loved to use when he was younger. He was ecstatic. The next hour was filled with shapes and color combinations, all of which he shared with me - searching for comments and praise. 

At some point he realized that his creations could be used as desktop wallpaper, so he asked me how to do it. I showed him, and after about the second time he could do it himself... (insert 20 minute break from blogging to make Little Man some frozen waffles for breakfast) ...So, the next half hour was spent creating a piece of art, then setting as his background, and then calling me to make sure that I witnessed it in all its glory. It was fun. At the end, he asked if he could log in under my account, so that he could make a background for me. I agreed and the image you see above is the result. Without any words at all, he conveyed his love for me. It is a thing to be cherished.

There are so many times in life when we are oblivious to these small joys, these unspoken interjections of love. When someone holds the door for you, cooks you a meal, offers kind words, or connects with you just to see if you're doing okay, these are all acts of love. They don't have to do any of these things, but they choose to. Why? Because you matter to them, that's why. Signs that you are cared for do not have to be as overt as the big pink heart, or the words "I Love You." And often, giving love is in the act of not doing, When someone acts like a dork and you let it slide, or when a child aggravates you, but you suppress the feeling and handle the situation with a smile, those too are acts of love.

Consider the love you've been oblivious to as you spend time with family, friends, and even pets. Consider the love that you give to others. It takes so little effort to convey these things, and we so often do it automatically. What would happen if you were more aware of it? Would you actively give more love? Do you think you would feel more loved? Is there any harm in trying?  8:33am...

No comments:

Post a Comment