Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Magic of Bananas

6:12am... A hot slice of banana bread with melted butter soaking into the top of it, and the last leftover cup of coffee from Sunday morning's brew. 

Yesterday's trip to to grocery store was prompted by a pair of significantly spotted and overripe bananas, which I simply could not let go to waste. So, before diving into my Ethics paper - which I finished yesterday and submitted before bedtime - I had to run out and do some shopping.

Starbucks was first on the list, to bolster the single cup I had enjoyed while blogging. Then I wandered into Home Depot for a hinge-mounted door stop and some fender washers for a small project I need to finish today. After entertaining thoughts of meandering through World Market, I realized it was only 9:15 am, and they don't open until 10:00 am. Scratch that off the list, too much to do anyway, I can't stand filling time.

Anywhere between 9:00 am and 11:00 am is a great time to go to the grocery store - no lines, very few customers, maybe just a few employees restocking shelves to dodge. People are still fresh, having yet to reach that point where they just want the work day to be done and home wrapped comfortingly around them. It is a place of easy shopping and easy smiles.

As I started to say before, I had two overripe bananas, but really need four for my banana bread recipe. So, $90 later, I have my extra bananas (and a big pack of ground beef, and big pack of chicken breast, and on and on and on... jeez... I need to sort all that stuff out today and get most of it into the freezer... add it to the list!) So, I made it back to the apartment, lugged four heavy bags up to the third floor and put it all away - keeping out the package of shrimp spring rolls which constituted my early lunch. Yum!

The day rolled past as various ethical philosophies were compared and contrasted, while past ethical dilemmas were dissected and revisited. At some point I glanced at my phone... Holy Cow! It was 3:11 pm and I never made the banana bread!! So, I poured myself a tall glass of cold water and got down to business... 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 eggs, 4 bananas - MASH!! 1.5 cups flour, 1/2 cup walnut pieces, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp cinnamon - blend. Dump the dry into the wet, stir until just mixed, spoon into a WELL GREASED bread loaf pan... bake at 325F for about 70 minutes... Banana-flavored heaven!!!!!  Now my slice is eaten and my coffee is cold... 6:37 am...

No comments:

Post a Comment